Tuesday, November 5, 2013

First scare

Today was a little bit scary! During my morning NST, one of the twins' heart rate accelerated to 200 bpm twice (the normal range for a baby in utero is 110-160). I had to stay on another 20 minutes to see if her heart rate would resolve or not. This was the first time the nurse came in to tell me the doctors were scared. She did resolve beautifully though, thank goodness. If it were to accelerate twice more in the following 20 minutes, I would be taken upstairs and put on continuous monitoring--only allowed to get up to bathe, really. I would stay on continuous until it either resolved after a minimum of 12 hours, or, if it continued to stay up around 200, they would cut me open and get them out.

She passed with flying colors in the following 20 minutes...my heart rate was up of course which didn't help. It goes up for them when they are really excited, or in distress, or if I am dehydrated. That's why if I were to go upstairs I'd also be hooked up to IVs straight away.

Soon after, I had my follow-up fetal echocardiograph ultrasound (hearts). It's just routine to do it every 4 weeks with identical twinning. It takes about an hour per baby, so it's exhausting. They both look great and there is no sign of TTTS twin-to-twin transfusion. (I really ought to make a whole post about all the abbreviations I hear and see all the time!) During their growth scan a few days ago we discovered there is only a 10% size discrepancy, so TTTS is really not a concern at this point. They start worrying when it climbs to 20%. TTTS can either be treated or it can be absolutely devastating, so I will continue to thank my lucky stars.

I had a nice weekend with the husband, lots of cuddling and TV and nearly an unbearable amount of food that is bad for us. Perfect!

My mother in law took our son Sunday back to Cape Cod with her for the week to give us all a break on our end. He is calling my husband's twin brother "Dada" which I think is funny and cute, but poor Gavin is not amused. He misses him so much with how much he is working currently. He is a sweet papa bear. I can only imagine how protective he is going to be of these girls.

When my mother in law stopped by to pick up our little man, she passed along a present from her friend Fleur who bought the cutest little booties for the girls! I'll put a picture below. The two sock booties in the picture Gavin bought, but the others are from this sweet woman! Thank you I just know they are going to be the most adorable little ladies with all the glitter and ruffles and bows! Gavin is buying a huge chunk of all the stuff they need this weekend coming up, I will do a post about what we get. Too much cuteness.

 
The bakery down the street is awesome. It was a blessing in disguise that they have a $10 card minimum so we had to buy all these goodies. Guava rugelach, carrot cake cupcake with cream cheese frosting, carroty walnuty raisiny muffin that was actually really good, peanut butter cookies, oatmeal cookies, and cookies that had white, milk, AND dark chocolate chips in them..:
 
 
My life. Sometimes the girls stay in position when we wedge towels around me:
 
 
Now THIS is a truly beautiful sight. It's a sign on my door telling the nurse assistants to not wake me for nightly/very early vitals! They used to come in here all hours to take my temperature and blood pressure. I am the type of person that has a hard time getting back to sleep once I am up, and it was getting to the point where I was hardly getting 4 hours of sleep. This has been a huge help!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. So glad the scare resolved itself and you didn't have to go on continuous monitoring. And OMG those booties are too much!! :) Love them. And yay for no early morning vitals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) And yes the booties are too much...I love it!

    ReplyDelete