Saturday, December 28, 2013

1 month old! - An update.

 
       This is my sweet baby girl Lucy this morning. I can't believe they are one month old (and outgrowing preemie clothes). Lucy came home on Christmas Eve, a lovely, very welcomed surprise. I visited them two days before it, and they still had their feeding tubes in, but I was able to hold them at the same time--for the first time. They must have had their tubes taken out the next day, which happened to be my birthday. Nice little present to me. Lucy has been a peach, and it is has been so natural having her home. I was worried about bringing her home and how my son would react but he has been taking it very well. When she cries, he goes over to her and says "baby!" and tries to give her a bottle or her pacifer. It's really precious.
 
Lochlan and Lucy
 
        Violet is still in the NICU because she had a few episodes of apnea of prematurity. It is very common. They forget to breathe for longer than 10 seconds; she has been doing this while eating. I believe I passed along my cold to them and her being all stuffed up is really the culprit. Nevertheless, she cannot be discharged until it has been 2 days since her last episode. To my knowledge, her last one was on Christmas day. I am currently waiting on a phone call back from their doctor about what the plan is, if there is one. It is Saturday and things can go slow like molasses in a hospital on a Saturday. So, while the babies are napping, I am updating.
         I have been healing just fine from the surgery. Getting a cold definitely prolonged my recovery, though. The coughing was very hard on my incision site. Today at the 1 month mark, I feel much, much better. Very tired, very happy, and much, much better. The anxiety of the pregnancy has officially been released. Now I am patiently waiting for the NICU days to be over. It has been nice to get some one-on-one time with Lucy but I am ready now to feel whole at home.
       People always want to try to convince you that parenthood is the hardest thing in the world. It has been very natural to Gavin and me, having them here and taking care of them, and spending our lives with them. We know when they are all 3 years old together, we will probably be pulling our hair out--but for now, we agree, life is good. There will always be naysayers.
        I just wanted to make a note about my previous post, my c section story. Everyone's birth story is different. Whatever your opinion of how you interpret my story to be, really doesn't matter. I'm telling you EXACTLY how it felt to me. And if you are pregnant and fearing a c section, all I can say is, whether you have the biggest panic attack over having your body paralyzed and numb from the waist down in under 5 minutes flat, or whether that is your idea of a relaxing spa moment -- the whole thing is over in 45 minutes - 1 hour tops. And in another hour after that, you will regain feeling. Slowly, but surely. It will all be okay, everything will be okay. On the bright side, vaginal delivery is no fucking picnic either. But always remember -- if mothers never forgot the pain of birth, there would be very little siblings in the world!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment